Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Superman's trying to escape the phone booth early.

So after some suffering with swelling and constantly being hot we finally get to see my doctor last friday. Turns out my blood pressure was 160/100 and my OB flipped out. I was immediately checked into Mt.Sinai's Labor and Delivery department and given my own room in the corner, away from all the drama and craziness that wing has a tendency to be. My BP didn't get down to a normal range for 2 days. I was released on Sunday afternoon. While I was there they ran blood tests on me every day (3 total) and made me do a 24 hour urine collection, which was slightly gross. They also yelled at me a lot for not drinking enough water... and now, at home, I get a bottle of water shoved in my face at every free moment. At some point friday evening, my attending doctor tells me and Phatty that if my BP doesn't calm down, they will have to be forced to deliver CJ early. So sunday afternoon Phatty buys me a philly cheesesteak sandwich from Jimmy's and we go home to relax for the rest of the day. Monday morning we have another OB visit.

Slightly prepared to have to stay in the hospital again, we reluctantly go into the OB office 10 minutes late. I give my pee and wait for my vitals to be taken... shocking ... 158/100. I'm immediately rushed in a room and made to lie on my left side for 15 minutes, or nearly to the point where I thought I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen. Apparently laying all the way flat is never the way to go when you're 9 months pregnant. They take my BP again 145/90 much better. Then my doc comes running in from just delivering a baby next door... crazy. She tells me that she's not happy at all with my BP numbers and guess what? I'm goin back into Labor and Delivery, but just for testing thank god. She also tells me that she's putting me on blood pressure medication, and that she'd be surprised if I make it past the weekend, but she will definitely deliver me at 37 weeks. That's in a week and 2 days!! The look on Phatty's face was priceless.

So we go over to LnD and I sit in triage and send Phatty off to get some fresh air. After giving more pee and blood I'm hooked up to a baby monitor and they take my BP at least 10 times in the hour and a half I'm there.... luckily for me, my BP dropped dramatically so I wasn't going to be admitted.  I then head over to get an ultrasound. My Dr tells me that I will be seeing her 2xs a week and getting an ultrasound once a week... thank GOD I got insurance when I did!!! I called Phatty and he met me half way there. We go in to see our little man, for the second time in 4 days. He measures at 38 weeks! Thats 3 weeks further than what I am! And he weighs in at just under 7 pounds. We see his heart pumping, all four chambers working perfectly and his little lungs filling up completely and he's breathing normally. A good sign according to the tech. Then we see his beautiful little face. His perfect little nose and big pouty lips, he is just beautiful. The tech leaves the room because I have to disrobe so he can get my cervix measurements and I look over at Phatty just to see his eyes well up. It hit him. Finally. "Aw, baby come here." I open my ams to him and like a little boy he shook his head no and looked down... "COME HERE NOW" and he leaned into my arms and held me the tightest he's ever held me and just cried. It was beautiful. Well I mean common.. we made one hell of a cute baby, chubby cheeks and all. I don't blame him one bit. We walked back to LnD through the winding hallways just a little bit closer to each other, just a little more like parents. I was released shortly after that and I'm being made to do the 24 hour  urine collection thing again. Lame, but at least I get to be at home. My next OB visit is on Thursday, and we are all preparing for my pending admission into LnD.

Phatty washed the car and we will be installing the car seat tomorrow at his friends, Mikey's house. We've been doing laundry all day and I packed my bag for the hospital. Tomorrow I will clean the bathroom, dust and vacuum and get the crib ready. Then we need to go and drop off my urine..lol. Then it's time to sleep until possible d-day Thursday.

So what was that about making plans? Lol. Needless to say, I think the newly acquired skill of being ready for anything will come in handy when I become a Mom :)

No comments:

Post a Comment